William James Strickland, 85, of New Market, passed away Tuesday, January 3, 2016 at Sentara RMH in Harrisonburg.
Bill was born July 22, 1931 in Coffee County, Georgia, the oldest child of the late Elmo and Rachel McClelland Strickland.
On June 18, 1952 he was married to Dorothy Jean Quackenbush, who preceded him in death in October 2005.
He was also preceded by two brothers, Benjamin and Robert.
Bill was a member of the New Market Seventh-Day Adventist Church.
He was a teacher and school administrator at Shenandoah Valley Academy in New Market for over 40 years, teaching Spanish, English, Religion, Photography and other subjects as needed. In addition to classroom teaching, he was very involved in teaching students about the outdoors, taking groups on backpacking trips each month in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.
In his Spanish classes, Bill tried to stress the opportunities to serve in foreign missions. To introduce students to mission work and to Spanish speaking countries, he organized trips to Cuba, Mexico, Columbia and Panama, Puerto Rico and Spain. Most recently he traveled to Cuba with a reunion group of students who had gone there with him on a trip in 1960.
Bill is survived by a son, David Strickland of Troy, North Carolina; a daughter, Janice Osborne and husband William of New Market; a granddaughter, Rebecca Marie Wilson and husband Trent of Timberville; three grandchildren, Sadie Jean, Charlotte Marie and Lucy Ellen Bailey; three step grandchildren, Carl Spitler Hartzell, Stephen Spitler and Amber Spitler; a foster son, Philip Lorenz; foster daughter, Glenna Zirkle; and special friend, Mary Farrow.
A memorial service will be held at the New Market Seventh-Day Adventist Church on Sunday, January 22 at 1 p.m.
Memorial contributions may be made to the school that Bill and Jean loved and devoted 40 years of service to: Shenandoah Valley Academy, The William and Jean Quackenbush Strickland Worthy Student Endowment, 234 West Lee Highway, New Market, VA 22844.
Arrangements entrusted to Theis Funeral Chapel in New Market.